Join John Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Did making money change id Software?, part of Start Your Own Game Company with John Romero.
- When my games started to make really good money…let's say Commander Keen,…that was our first game that we made…and we were all, all four of us were working…at a different company,…and when we made that game it immediately made…the amount of money that we needed…to support ourselves like the first month.…So that was...…We immediately quit our jobs and started the company…and started basically making games from that point on.…
And the company stayed really small for a long time…'cause we just kept making the same kinds of things…until we made Wolfenstein,…and then we made that game in five months.…And when it came out it did amazingly well…like far ecllipsing the amount of money…that Commander Keen had made.…And that was a lot of money that came in,…but we had really low salaries…and we did the low salary thing…because we needed to be together as a team…more than we needed a bunch of money.…
And so at the very beginning of the company…even though we had equal shares in the company,…to keep everybody able to stay together…
For a different perspective on breaking into the game industry, check out the interview with John's wife and creative partner, Brenda Romero, in our Insights with a Game Designer course.
- Creating a business plan for a game design company
- Registering a business
- Understanding the costs of running a game company
- Getting funding from publishers and investors
- Keeping a game company going and growing
- Handling payroll and HR
- Hiring game development contractors
- Developing original intellectual property (IP)
Skill Level Beginner
Animation Foundations: Fundamentalswith George Maestri42m 28s Beginner
Game Design Careers with Brenda Romerowith Brenda Romero54m 41s Beginner
1. Company Formation
2. Funding and Costs
4. Contracts and Legal Paperwork
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.