Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Developing goals and exploring Big Hairy Audacious Goals (BHAGs), part of Motivating and Engaging Employees (2013).
- Understanding goal setting is essential…for any successful professional.…When executed correctly, few things…boost productivity more than goals.…So let's talk about them in a bit more detail.…Specifically, I'd like to share two somewhat different,…yet complementary, approaches to goal setting.…The first is the classic approach,…which states that all goals should be SMART.…That stands for Specific, Measurable, Aligned,…Reachable, and Time-bound.…These are fairly straightforward.…
Specific means very clear and concrete…about the details of the outcome to be achieved.…Goals must also be Measurable, because…if you can't measure something, you can't manage it.…The A is for Aligned.…Goals are said to be aligned when they support each other…and do not otherwise work at cross purposes,…such that pursuing one goal impedes your ability…to successfully pursue another goal.…Next is Reachable, which simply reminds us to set…challenging goals, but not so challenging…that they seem unobtainable.…
Finally, we have the T for Time-bound,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Assessing employee engagement
- Providing autonomy
- Building a transparent culture
- Modeling desired behavior
- Using monetary and nonmonetary motivators
- Fostering accountability
- Developing career paths for employees<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.