Join Cheryl Ladd for an in-depth discussion in this video Determining the research approach, part of Marketing Foundations: Market Research.
- If you were planning to build a house what would…be your reaction if your builder came back and said,…"Blueprint, no, no, I know what you want…"we don't need a blueprint,"…I'm thinking you might be looking for a different builder.…While it is possible to build a house without a blueprint,…the final product may be different than what you ordered.…The research design is to market research…what the blueprint is to home building.…It's the framework or plan for the study…which will act as the guide for data collection,…and just like there is no single…right way to build a house,…there's no single right way to do research.…
However, you can categorize research designs…in much the same way as you might…categorize houses as ranch, split level, and two story.…Research approaches are categorized into one…of three types, exploratory, descriptive, causal.…Let's take a look at each.…The first type of approach, exploratory research,…is just that an exploration.…The general objective is to gain insights…and ideas about the problem.…
The course also explores how marketing research evolves throughout a product lifecycle and identifies possible stumbling blocks and ethical considerations when performing market research.
- Understanding market search
- Determining the research approach
- Understanding the types of research: qualitative to quantitative
- Developing questions
- Collecting data
- Analyzing data
- Preparing reports
- Identifying potential issues in marketing research