Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Determining the best way to communicate, part of Building Business Relationships.
Relationships are built one conversation at a time.…The best way for you to establish relationships with your leaders,…colleagues, and customers is to find out their preferred method of communication.…For example, in my career, I worked for a leader…who would text me a question and I would pick up…the phone and call him with a response, because I…thought it would be easier than sending a long text message.…Well, he wouldn't answer his phone, and my call would go straight to voicemail.…
Later, he asked me why I didn't respond to his texts.…I said that I had left him a voicemail message.…He said that he hadn't listened to his voice mail.…If I had asked his preferred method of communication, I would…have known how he wanted to communicate and avoided the situation.…To determine someone's…preferred method of communication, simply ask.…Some prefer the speed and mobility of text messages, others prefer the…ability to set tone on a phone call and some may prefer email.…
In building business relationships, it's important…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.