Join Lisa Gates for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing stretch opportunities, part of Coaching and Developing Employees (2013).
Research into human motivation tells us that we're less motivated by money and …reward than we are by our ability to direct our own lives. …To learn and create new things and to do better by ourselves and our world. …What that research means to me is that people want to know that they have value, …and that they matter. These are people who want to learn and …put that learning to the test they want to stretch. …So let's talk about what stretch opportunities might look like in your organization.…
What about formal education? In your company getting an advanced …degree like an MBA might be an employee benefit. …This is as much of an enticement to a high achiever, as it is to somebody just …starting out in their career. So when you first start coaching your …employees, be sure to ask what their educational goals are, and see if you can …find ways to meet them. Informal education opportunities include …workshops, conferences, and say, Community College courses and online …resources like webinars and e-learning courses.…
- Establish a coaching relationship with your employees.
- Demonstrate the cornerstones of coaching.
- List examples of "PowerTalk Practice".
- Describe how to challenge your employees for growth.
- Identify how to manage accountability and give future-focused feedback.
- Align professional goals with company objectives.
- Design stretch opportunities.