Explore ways to design and choose activities that move the group forward and expand the learning experience.
- Designing the right activities…is vitally important to the success of your workshop.…When you get it right, the group has a shift…in their understanding, belief, and behavior…that they will sustain after your time together.…And when you get it wrong,…it can cause people to disengage, get bored,…and even get up and leave.…No pressure or anything.…Hopefully as you outlined the content…and design to the learning plan and agenda,…you brainstormed a lot of possibilities.…Let's look at some key characteristics.…First, you want activities that make the learning sticky,…which means that people will remember it and use it.…
One way to do this is to hook learning…onto something the participants already know.…When you connect learning to knowledge,…skills, or experiences they already have,…you greatly enhance their ability…to understand and remember it.…The challenge is that you don't always know…what their knowledge, skills, or experiences are.…The good news is that you don't have to,…but you do have to set up your activities…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Facilitating adult learners
- Best practices in workshop design
- Understanding your participants
- Designing the right activities
- Preparing the logistics
- Facilitating the workshop
- Keeping things on track
- Increasing participation and collaboration
- Solving unexpected problems
- Dealing with challenging dynamics
- Creating closure