Join Steven Brown for an in-depth discussion in this video Defining logistics, part of Logistics Foundations.
- What exactly is logistics, you ask?…The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals…defines logistics as:…"That part of supply chain management…"that plans, implements, and controls…"the efficient, effective…"forward and reverse flow…"and storage of goods, services, and related information…"between the point of origin…"and the point of consumption…"in order to meet customers' requirements."…Phew, that is a lot to take in.…
So, let's break down this official definition…into terms that make sense to you…and your organization.…So first, logistics is a crucial aspect…of supply chain management,…and supply chain management in brief…describes how businesses conduct their business.…Businesses source from suppliers,…make products or provide services,…and then deliver those products and services to customers.…Next, logistics moves goods and services…from the beginning of that supply chain to the end.…We transport supplies and materials…from the supplier to the factory, for example,…and then move finished goods from the factory…
These lessons will help you understand the importance of logistics and help your company prepare for efficient delivery, distribution, and inventory. Plus, get insights on the latest logistics trends.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding order fulfillment
- Defining logistics
- Comparing inbound, outbound, and reverse logistics
- Key decisions: delivery, distribution, and inventory
- Coordinating the supply chain
- Trends in logistics management