You can’t win at office politics if you don’t know what you’re aiming for. In this video tutorial, Dorie helps you learn to identify clear professional goals and create a plan to achieve them. Some of her strategies include pre-writing your resume and identifying your skills gaps.
- It's impossible to succeed…if you don't know what you're aiming for.…That's why it's essential to set clear goals…and develop a plan to follow through on them.…Here are four strategies to consider.…Model the people you admire.…Are there people inside or outside of your company…that you really admire and hope to emulate professionally?…If so, start investigating.…LinkedIn is a great tool for this.…As well as, a general search on the web.…Map out exactly how they got to where they are.…
What jobs did they have?…What experiences?…Try to make sense of their progression…and match it up against your resume.…Are you on track to land in a similar place?…If not, it's time to identify your skills gaps.…If the professionals you admire have distinct skills…that you don't, think about how necessary they are…to the future you envision.…It may be a nice to have that they're coding experts…if they ultimately ended up running…the company's market and function.…But if they're running engineering,…and that's what you'd like to do as well,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building social proof and goodwill
- Exhibiting authenticity
- Defining your workplace goals
- Identifying key decision makers
- Strengthening relationships
- Identifying company values
- Connecting your colleagues