LinkedIn principal author Doug Winnie describes how a product manager can support the definition of a go-to-market plan with the development of personas. Personas define the characteristics of your end users and buyers of your product. Personas are great ways to encapsulate what you know about a user and put it in a single place that you can refer to easily and check against with features and messaging.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Knowing who's going to buy or use your product…is an important part of the release phase…of product development.…Let's look at what you need to do and who you will work with…to clearly define your go to market.…The process of defining your market is a team effort…between you and your marketing partner.…As product manager, your contribution is to develop…the personas.…Let's first talk about what goes into a persona.…There are a lot of different types of personas that are used…in marketing and product management, but here are some good…basic considerations.…
Give your persona a name.…Let's say I'm defining personas for an app which will allow…teachers, students, and parents to collaborate on grades,…assignments, and school activities.…If you have a persona for each of these types of individuals…you can clearly define what they like, what they don't,…and what motivates them and their decisions.…When you use and refer to your personas,…everyone on the team will understand the users since…they're all defined and referred to using their personas.…
- Types of products and industries
- Leading through influence
- Understanding your team
- Using an agile or waterfall development cycle
- Managing your product life cycle
- Researching your market, customers, and ideas
- Planning the product
- Building the product
- Releasing the product
- Refining the product
- Understanding when it's time to retire the product
Skill Level Beginner
1. What is Product Management?
2. What Does a Product Manager Do?
When it is time to retire2m 58s
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.