- Deciding on a report's mechanical elements includes…examining margins, spacing, font and page numbering.…Even though the content of the report must be thorough,…well-organized and well-written, the first impression…of the report may well be the report's appearance.…You want that first impression to be a positive one,…that the report looks professional.…The margins, the spacing, the font and page numbers…add to the report's credibility.…The margins may vary depending on how the report…is bound and the section of the report.…
For example, if the report is to be left-bound,…then the left margin is usually one and a half inches,…which allows a half inch for the binding.…The top, bottom and right margins…are then the standard one inch.…One exception is that the top margin may…be about two inches on the first page…after the prefatory parts, the page that repeats…the report's title and begins the introduction.…This example shows that page.…Another exception is if the report is top-bound, then the…top margin will add that one half inch for the binding.…
- Differentiate between formal and informal reports.
- Write an effective transmittal.
- Identify when to use an appendix and what to include.
- Cite the purpose of a tentative outline and create one for a report.
- Clarify and emphasize data with report graphics.
- Distinguish between primary and secondary research.
- Explain how to incorporate graphics in a report.
- Write a tentative outline.
Skill Level Intermediate
Business Writing Principleswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 32m Beginner
Writing Recommendationswith Judy Steiner-Williams10m 52s Intermediate
1. Examining Types of Business Reports
2. Exploring the Parts of a Report
3. Preparing to Write
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.