Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Data collection tools and methods, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…We've talked so far about what to measure, that's traits, behaviors, and outcomes.…We've also considered different sources for each…of these from self reports to 360s.…Now it's time to talk about the specific tools and methods used to collect data.…What are the measures we use?…I'll start by being honest. There is no perfect measure.…Several are popular and useful. I'd like…to familiarize you with the most common approaches.…Earlier we mentioned that performance diary,…which is full of critical incident observations.…
We also noted objective measure, such as goal attainment.…But the most common type of measure, by far, is some form of graphic rating scale.…You'll also see some use of rankings and checklists.…But rating scales dominate most appraisal systems.…A graphic rating scale…gives the evaluator a list of dimensions, each…one representing some aspect of the employee's effectiveness.…Each dimension has its own multi-point rating scale,…most often a five-point, or a seven-point scale.…
On the positive end of the scale, you'll…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.