Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Data challenges and the use of informal feedback, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…Everyone deserves a fair performance evaluation, right?…Well, you're right, delivering a fair evaluation is your goal.…But you do need to be aware of the limits of different types of data.…You'll often hear people talk about the need for objective data.…But the truth is that objective data about a…person's performance at work is next to impossible to gather.…There are exceptions.…Think about sales, for example. It's easy to know how…much someone did or did not sell.…Similarly, for an employee who works in a manufacturing environment, you can…get data on units produced, scrap, or other measures of quality or productivity.…
However, when you're looking at office…workers, measurement becomes far more difficult.…We can and do use many types of ratings.…And while useful, they're better described as subjective, not objective.…Even in cases like sales or manufacturing, the objective data only covers half…of what you wish to measure, which is the specific work being done.…All of the things on the people side of the equation, things such…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.