An environment where your participants feel safe enhances their ability to learn and build the right skills.
- In addition to delivering great content,…the most important thing you can do for your participants…is to make it safe for them to take risks and make mistakes.…This is the only way people really learn.…So creating a safe environment should be your top priority.…Here are some ways to do that.…First, create ground rules.…Ground rules are the way that participants agree to engage…and interact with each other during the workshop.…By starting with ground rules,…you signal that you care about making the workshop…conducive for their learning.…
I usually ask the participants…to come up with their own ground rules…by asking something like…in order to fully participate…and even take risks and make mistakes,…what ground rules would you need in place…during this workshop…then I capture their suggestions on a poster…asking clarifying questions when needed.…I ask, what else until the group is satisfied with the list.…This takes about 15 to 20 minutes…and we can always add to it later if needed…then I let them know that as the facilitator,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Facilitating adult learners
- Best practices in workshop design
- Understanding your participants
- Designing the right activities
- Preparing the logistics
- Facilitating the workshop
- Keeping things on track
- Increasing participation and collaboration
- Solving unexpected problems
- Dealing with challenging dynamics
- Creating closure