Join Simon T. Bailey for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a personal board of directors, part of Building Business Relationships.
When I first started out on my own,…I was overconfident and not open to other perspectives.…Everything was about me, and I was not curious.…I had to let go of wanting to be right,…and really had to say that I was ready to expand,…to stretch and to tweak my view of things.…What made a difference in how I saw the world and business was my…personal board of directors.…If you intend to grow as a professional, it is important that you surround…yourself with 3 to 5 diverse individuals with unique skill sets.…
These people will act as your personal board of directors.…They will close your knowledge gaps and help you move forward.…Find a few people that you naturally connect with.…And at least one who is opposite…of you in thinking.…Their opposite input will expand your world view.…Remember, you may not agree with them,…but if you intend to be relevant in every economy,…then you need to see how the other side thinks.…So, let's get started building your personal board of directors.…
Here's how you do it.…First, determine who should be on your board.…
Discover how you can build meaningful rapport, set yourself up for visibility and success, manage up when you don't click, develop executive presence, and cross-train within a team to better serve the organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the four key business relationships
- Building relationships in person and virtually
- Supporting your manager's objectives
- Articulating your needs to your manager
- Managing up
- Communicating with difficult team members
- Resolving cross-department conflict
- Identifying mentors and sponsors
- Making first impressions with executives<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.