Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating multiple diversification views, part of Strategic Planning Fundamentals.
- Strategic plans can be complicated…because you're trying to drive multiple objective functions.…So it's important, once you've built your priority list,…to make sure that you have balance across all of the…objectives you're trying to achieve.…The way I like to do that is to create multiple looks…through a two-by-two matrix and see where my…highest priority initiatives are showing up on that matrix.…So for example, let's say I've got 30 initiatives…on my entire list and five of them…are my top priority initiatives.…
So first, I evaluate them based upon growth rate,…how fast will they help my company grow,…and profitability, how profitable is this initiative,…this particular product.…And when I plot all 30 initiatives,…those five top initiatives help us grow very rapidly…and they're very high on that axis…and they're very profitable,…so they're very high on that axis.…And looking at the portfolio through that lens…of growth rate and profitability makes sense.…
But we're not done.…Now let's look at other objectives that we have,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.