Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating escalation procedures, part of Business Ethics.
- One of the customer service situations…I find most distressing…is when I call a help line with an issue I have,…and the help desk rep says something like,…"Wow, I've never heard about that problem before!"…They then proceed to put me on hold…for a long period of time…trying to determine who might be able…to help me with my concern.…When it comes to managing ethics concerns,…you don't want your employees or their managers…running into a similar situation.…
That's why it's important that…your organization's business ethics framework…includes escalation procedures.…With well-documented and understood escalation procedures,…your staff will understand…how to effectively bring ethics issues…to the right place within the organization,…and won't struggle like my poor help desk representative.…I recommend that your escalation procedure…be structured like a workflow.…This is important because there could be…a number of pathways for reporting ethics issues,…including your manager,…your legal team,…your human resources area,…
Bob also discusses ethics in relationship to specific business scenarios: working with suppliers and vendors, organizational decision making, and doing business internationally. He addresses how to handle business ethics violations and provides a checklist of items for staff to evaluate if something is ethical.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define the purpose and intent of business ethics.
- Describe why particular situations might be considered ethical or unethical.
- Determine how to approach and report unethical behavior.
- Identify how to message ethical policies to your staff.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior by leading by example.
- List options and best practices for escalating problems in your department.