Join Peter High for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating an IT mission, part of Creating Your IT Strategy.
- For many leaders who operate in companies where…strategic planning is not a core competence, it can seem…daunting to be the first executive to stand up and…create a plan and render it explicit.…If you're in such a situation, it may seem intimidating…to commit to priorities and broadcast those priorities…when peers are not doing so.…Moreover, as an IT leader, optimally your colleagues…in other departments would provide their input regarding…their plans, perhaps with your team's counsel,…before IT develops its own strategy,…as the IT plan should bring those other plans to life.…
Given how much work this all seems to entail,…some IT leaders elect to do nothing.…They elect to wait until someone else takes the first step.…Let me suggest a way to simplify this process:…develop an IT mission.…There are several ways to do this.…First, be specific.…Specificity will provide clarity to your staff as they…internalize the meaning of the mission.…Also, as solid missions help your staff determine what not…to do, specificity will act as the necessary filter.…
In this course, IT strategy consultant Peter High outlines how to create an agile IT department, measure IT performance, and create the role of business information officer. He also suggests ways in which leaders can change the organizational conversation about technology by sharing the IT mission, cocreating other departments' strategies, and finding areas of alignment.
- The changing nature of IT
- Making IT strategic
- Creating an agile IT department
- Measuring IT performance
- Cocreating other departments' strategies
- Creating an IT mission for the entire organization