Explore preparing a medium-to-longer term plan for the role. How will you develop it? What direction should it go in? This will make you feel more secure in the initial stages, and also be more credible if you are asked. Also your short-term actions should always be working toward the longer-term plan. This planning may require strategic information – you may need to ask questions about the longer-term aims of the managers above you.
- As we talk about joining a new team or starting a new role…I'd like to touch on the longer view.…As well as getting off to a good start with a new job,…ideally you would have a long-term plan for the role…and for yourself in the role.…How will you develop the role?…What direction should it go in?…How long do you want to do the job for?…And what's your exit strategy?…What do you want to do after that,…and how will you get there?…For example, say you're paid to deliver training courses.…
It would be good if you came with a plan…or quite rapidly developed a plan,…for which new subjects could be added,…how eLearning is going to be used in future courses,…how people will be using their phones to learn…in five years' time, and how apps and tablets…could be used right now to sell courses and deliver them,…that kind of thing.…So you're not just turning up and doing the job…of running courses or designing them,…but you're pushing the job forwards.…This saves the boss the hassle of thinking about this…or at least helps the boss if they also have ideas.…
- Why we dislike change
- Planning for change
- Developing mental toughness
- Maximizing your interpersonal skills
- Setting long-term career goals
- Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
- What to consider if you're thinking of leaving your job
- Building up your network
- How to be low maintenance employee
- Establishing goals and plans with a new boss
- How to deal with a bad boss
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understand and Prepare for Change
4. New Initiatives or Mergers
5. New Roles, Teams, and Location
The benefits of a new role3m 25s
6. New Boss
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.