Learn about communicating sideways as well as top down, and coping when the boss isn't there, handling variations, and filling gaps that come up (rather than "not my job").
- A really good team will deliver results…without the leader, or manager, having to do much at all.…Maybe setting up the team is the most important thing…a leader, or manager, can do.…I read somewhere that with a really great manager…the team says, "We did it ourselves."…So, ideally the manager, or leader,…would just set up a good team,…and then let them get on with it.…If you think of a soccer team, or any sports team really,…they do have a manager there to make changes,…and give limited instructions during the match,…but really once the action starts,…the team has to work together, and cope without…the manager telling everyone what to do.…
So, the team needs to be good at communicating sideways,…as well as taking orders from the top down.…And also, to be good at making its own decisions…in order to handle variations in the task,…without saying, "But we always do it like this,"…or, "We don't know what to do without someone to tell us."…I think a good team can make decisions for itself,…and can adapt how it works depending on the situation…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Getting the job done
- Dividing up the work
- Cultivating communication
- Handling conflict
- Delivering reliably
- Playing more than one role
- Using your strengths and dealing with your weaknesses
Skill Level Beginner
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
1. The Importance of Teams
2. What Makes a Great Team?
3. Your Responsibility to Other Team Members
4. Becoming a Better Team Member
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.