Seven coordinating conjunctions are discussed in depth in this video. Six different ways to use one of the most common coordinating conjunctions—and—are discussed and illustrated. The other six specific coordinating conjunctions are also examined with multiple examples showing how the sentence’s meaning is determined by which word is used.
- [Instructor] Coordinating Conjunctions.…The acronym to help you remember…these seven words is FANBOYS:…For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So.…They connect equals and those equals can be words:…desk and chair. Phrases. On the desk and in the chair.…Dependent clauses. After the meeting was over,…but while we were still at the office.…Or independent clauses.…The meeting was over, but we were still working.…Depending on which list you use,…the word and is number four or number five…on the most frequently used words in the English language.…
To be used so frequently suggests…that it must have a variety of uses.…Let's examine six of those possibilities,…as we delve more deeply into the coordinating conjunctions.…And can be used to show a sequence.…We arrived at the meeting and waited for the speaker…to arrive. Two verbs, arrived and waited, show the sequence.…Arrived before we waited. Another relationship…that and can show is cause and effect.…The employees heard the news that layoffs would begin…and promptly began interviewing at other companies.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify irregular verbs and explain how to use them appropriately in all tenses.
- List the seven coordinating conjunctions.
- Recognize commonly misused and misunderstood words.
- Determine correct comma placement.
- Explain the difference between a colon and a semicolon.
- Name the four sentence structures.