LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify effective consulting contracting techniques.
- Explain how to evaluate an attorney for legal counsel.
- Compare and contrast different types of major contracts.
- List the major players in a contracting process.
- Define payment terms.
- Define warranties and liability.
- Scope a consulting engagement.
- Describe how to negotiate major contract points.
Skill Level Intermediate
- Contracts can be boring, frustrating and intimidating. They're full of complex words like aforementioned, notwithstanding and indemnification. The thing is, when you run a consulting firm, the terms of the contract have a tremendous impact on the work you do, the money you make, and the risks you face. I'm Mike Figliuolo, Managing Director at thoughtLEADERS. I've read and written hundreds of consulting contracts, and I've experienced first hand the negative impacts of a poorly written contract.
I've also seen well written contracts that led to productive client relationships. I built this course by breaking down and explaining the major provisions you'll find in common consulting contracts. I'll cover the different types of contracts, pricing and payment terms, warranties and liability, insurance requirements, project scoping, and some negotiation tips. I'll also highlight common risks present in the contracting process.
Let's see how you can be more effective at drafting your consulting agreements, and getting your clients to sign a contract that both of you are happy with.