Becoming a connector is easier than you think, and it’s an invaluable way to get to know people in your organization and show your leadership skills. In this video, Dorie shows you how to organize informal meetups, launch more official groups inside your company, and connect people who ought to know each other.
- One of the best ways to make yourself influential at work,…is to become a connector.…When you bring others together,…they recognize it and appreciate it,…creating a reservoir of goodwill for you.…Here's how to get started.…Most people don't think of themselves as hosts or convenors,…but it's far easier than you might imagine.…Because others rarely take the initiative,…many people are extremely appreciative…to receive an invitation to go out.…Even if you're simply organizing an office trip…to get drinks after work, or inviting colleagues…to your place for a barbecue one weekend,…you're likely to get a disproportionately positive response,…and people will look at you in a different way,…as someone who is making their lives better,…by bringing people together.…
Even casual gatherings can make a big difference,…because people love to be included.…Another alternative is starting a more formal…or organized group that meets regularly.…This might mean speaking to HR…and volunteering to lead a committee at work.…It could be anything related to your interests,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Building social proof and goodwill
- Exhibiting authenticity
- Defining your workplace goals
- Identifying key decision makers
- Strengthening relationships
- Identifying company values
- Connecting your colleagues