Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Conducting a SWOT analysis, part of Strategic Planning Foundations.
- Another tool you can use to assess the environment…you're competing in is called a SWOT Analysis.…And SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses,…Opportunities, and Threats.…And typically it's drawn on a grid.…For strengths and weaknesses, those are typically within…your own organization, capabilities you have or don't have.…As far as opportunities and threats, they can either be…internal or external market-facing…opportunities and threats.…
So let me walk through an example.…As you build a SWOT Analysis you'll want…to have the team together…and have people throw out their ideas…and it's generally a brainstorming session.…So perhaps we start our SWOT Analysis…and we look at our strengths.…Our strengths consist of the brands we have,…how efficient our supply chain is,…the strength of our sales force…and how well they sell our products,…safety within our manufacturing plants,…our recruiting information technology,…and maybe our financial position.…
And as I've laid out the strengths,…notice they're all internally-facing capabilities…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Define the principles of strategic planning.
- Identify forces used to assess the market.
- Explain how to conduct a SWOT analysis.
- Articulate how to establish guiding principles and set goals.
- Explain what strategic filters are used for.
- Describe the steps of a strategic planning process.
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.