Join Doug Rose for an in-depth discussion in this video Communicating with your team, part of Managing Project Communication.
There's an old Peter Sellers joke…where he walks up to a man sitting in a coffee shop.…Next to him there's a dog,…so Peter asks the man,…"Does your dog bite?"…The man glances up from his coffee and says, "No."…When Sellers pets the dog,…it growls and tears off his sleeve.…He looks at the man and said,…"I thought you said your dog didn't bite?"…The man looks up and said,…"That's not my dog."…I'm reminded of this joke…when I'm working on projects.…Good project management is about…asking the right questions.…All projects will have some information gaps.…
Team members will make assumptions that…turn out to be untrue,…managers will give directions that are later forgotten.…Teams are more productive…and timelines are more compressed,…so miscommunication can live on just long enough…to create a lot of rework.…So asking the right question…is usually as simple as a well phrased, "Why?"…Why did you make this decision?…Why is this the best way to go?…Why is this timeline accurate?…Admittedly, it might be annoying for your team,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Using formal and informal means to communicate
- Prioritizing stakeholder needs
- Listening actively
- Planning project communication
- Understanding leadership language
- Writing clear and concise project reports
- Learning how and when to say "no"<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Understanding the Communication Plan
2. Discovering How We Communicate
3. Communicating with Stakeholders
Answering tough questions4m 48s
4. Running Project Meetings
5. Writing Project Reports
6. Addressing Communication Challenges
Next steps2m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.