Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Communicating effectively, part of Executive Decision Making.
- If you want to make a successful executive decision,…communicate the rationale for the decision…to the broader organization.…Lay out the context you're making the decision in.…Tell people what the decision was…and why it was made.…Explain the goals for the making the decision.…Tell people how you're going to monitor execution.…And also that you're willing to make new decisions…as you get more information.…Perhaps even tell them what some of the…contingency plans are.…
The better people understand why…you made the decision,…the less they're going to second guess it…and the more they're going to support it.…And their support is critical to reducing…execution risks of making the decision.…Their support helps you get the decision out…and executed quickly because they're bought into it…and there are not going to be obstacles.…For example, at one company I worked for,…we did a large layoff…and those are always difficult decisions.…
Most of the time, layoffs are kept quiet…and people don't know they're coming.…This CEO did it differently.…
Mike helps you find the data and tools to support your decision, make the call, communicate decisions effectively, and lead your organization through the change. He'll also address common problems that arise from these high-profile decisions: cultural differences, quality of information, trust, and accountability, to name a few.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explore methods for communicating more effectively.
- Review decision-making styles to find the best one for you.
- Recognize the right time to declare success.
- Recall how an understanding of inherent biases can help you get the right data.
- Review methods for building trust.
- Explore how to make the right call while assessing risks.