Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Communicating across devices, continents, and cultures, part of Managing Virtual Teams (2014).
When you travel, …your plane ticket contains the basics, …like your name and destination. …It also contains other details, …like the date, flight number, gate, …and even a few things …that only have meaning to the airline, …Like those tiny ticket details …that might not have universal meaning, …but have meaning to the airline. …There are tiny things that might not seem important, …but can be very meaningful to your remote team members. …First, let's start with cultural differences. …When you have employees …from other countries living and working …in your home country, …or employees living in their home countries, …it can come in handy to study …and understand their customs. …Of course, …you can use the internet to do some research, …which I strongly recommend. …You also might want to have …a conversation with your employees …expressing curiosity about their customs and cultures. …This conversation alone …might help you establish a positive relationship …with your international team members. …
Discover how to build rapport, set mutual expectations, communicate, connect, overcome conflict, get work done, and grow the team. Also included is a look at the top five challenges managers face in leading remote teams and helpful solutions that will get your team on track.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Summarize the characteristics of the three “back to basics” areas of managing a remote team.
- Explain the steps taken to create positive relationships with a new team.
- Recall the purpose of integrity checks.
- Identify the characteristics of four types of management styles.
- Recognize the purpose of reviewing the lessons learned with a remote team.
- Determine the best action to take in order to enhance a remote team member’s sense of ownership and willingness to focus on performance.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Remote Team Management
2. Building Team Relationships
3. Developing an Effective Management Style
4. Managing Productivity and Results
5. Enhancing Success over Time
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.