Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Common ethical issues, part of Business Ethics.
- The majority of people in the workplace…serve their businesses well…and never approach ethical boundaries.…While they perform their jobs,…they seek to do the right ethical thing…when looking for ways to get their tasks accomplished.…Despite this, ethical breaches do occur.…So if you're looking to work…in the ethics space in your business,…you should be aware…of the most common issues you may encounter.…I'm going to share a list of seven common issues.…The top five are from researched published…in the Philadelphia Business Journal,…the last two are specific items I encounter…very regularly.…
So, here are the common ethical issues…you may run into.…Misusing company time.…This ethical issue includes claiming time that's not worked,…or conducting personal business during business hours.…Abusive behavior, also referred to as bullying.…This issue involves using intimidation…in order to get someone…to do what you want or need them to do.…In addition, this can be blaming others for issues…with things that were your responsibility,…
Bob also discusses ethics in relationship to specific business scenarios: working with suppliers and vendors, organizational decision making, and doing business internationally. He addresses how to handle business ethics violations and provides a checklist of items for staff to evaluate if something is ethical.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding the purpose and intent of business ethics
- Practicing business ethics
- Working with suppliers
- Reporting ethical problems
- Messaging staff
- Leading by example
- Creating escalation procedures for ethical issues
- Handling a crisis