Join Dana Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video Common copyright FAQs, part of Understanding Copyright: A Deeper Dive.
- Now that you have a better understanding of copyright…here's a list of the most common questions people ask me.…Do you need to register your copyright?…The answer is no.…You must register if you're going to file a lawsuit,…however it is not required in order…to claim rights in your work.…Do you lose rights if you do not comply with formalities…like placing a copyright notice on your work?…Under previous copyright acts you could…easily lose your copyrights by…not observing copyright formalities.…
You no longer need to comply with formalities…in order to maintain your rights,…however you must obtain a registration before you can sue.…I have an idea for a television show, how can I protect it?…Copyright does not protect titles or ideas…but copyright can protect fictional writings,…characters and even a treatment for a television show…or a movie that is not completely fleshed out yet.…Of course if you've written a script you can protect that…but nothing you protect under copyright…protects the abstract idea.…
A reality dating show that puts city women…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LInkedIn nor the attorney teaching the course represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate basic information to help viewers understand the basics of intellectual property.
- Explain why you should file for copyright certification.
- Determine what course of action will guarantee the end of infringement?
- Relate copyright to the purchase of software.
- Define public domain.
- List what you need to send the Copyright Office for copyright certification.