Join Jonah Berger for an in-depth discussion in this video Combining the six STEPPS, part of Jonah Berger on Viral Marketing.
…Word of mouth is a powerful tool.…It's over ten times as effective as traditional advertising.…But to make it work for you, you have…to understand the science behind why people talk and share.…As I've explained in these past few…videos, there's a science behind social transmission.…Six key steps that drive people to…share all types of products, information, and ideas.…We talked about social currency, the fact that when…people feel smart, and in the know, or special,…they're much more likely to pass something on.…We talked about triggers, top of mind, tip of tongue.…
What's your peanut butter?…What's that think in the environment that's going to remind…people to talk about you, even when you're not around.…We talked about emotion.…The more you care about something, the more like you are to share.…And the fact that high arousal emotions drive…people to share more than low arousal ones.…We talked about public, built to show, built to grow.…The easier it is for people to see what others are doing,…the more likely they can imitate it, and…
- Summarize the advantages of word-of-mouth advertising.
- Identify the six STEPPS to getting people to share.
- Explain the effects of a trigger.
- Describe the function of social proof.
- Recall the most effective strategies for spreading a marketing message.
- Recognize two components in a story meant to help spread a business message.