Join Peter High for an in-depth discussion in this video Co-creating other departments' strategy, part of Creating Your IT Strategy.
- Many IT departments begin the process…of developing an IT strategy with less than optimal…strategic inputs from other divisions of the company.…The reason is that many companies create strategy…at the enterprise level, but do not translate that strategy…into the different divisions of the company -…marketing, sales, finance, human resources, operations…and the like.…You as an IT leader would be right not to wait…for the rest of the organization to develop their plans…as IT needs to be able to demonstrate…to the company's leaders and the board…where and how it prioritizes its activities.…
In creating even the first plan it's important…to get some input from the rest of the organization.…Here's why.…First, IT needs to prioritize across the company,…not within the silos of the divisions.…Unless IT is completely federated…with smaller IT departments embedded in the divisions…of the company, IT draws from a single talent pool…and a single financial resource pool.…Therefore, it needs to prioritize projects one to n…
In this course, IT strategy consultant Peter High outlines how to create an agile IT department, measure IT performance, and create the role of business information officer. He also suggests ways in which leaders can change the organizational conversation about technology by sharing the IT mission, cocreating other departments' strategies, and finding areas of alignment.
- The changing nature of IT
- Making IT strategic
- Creating an agile IT department
- Measuring IT performance
- Cocreating other departments' strategies
- Creating an IT mission for the entire organization