Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Closing effectively, part of Performance Review Foundations.
…An otherwise useful employee evaluation can still…derail late in the process if you don't…know how to close the meeting effectively,…and there are several crucial elements to consider.…Let's start with the need for clarification for any…parts of the conversation that simply didn't feel right.…Typically in an employee evaluation, there are portions of the talk that both…parties clearly agree on, and other areas where agreement wasn't quite as smooth.…That's…normal.…It's useful after completing the review to briefly go back to…the one, maybe two, areas that seemed a little more difficult.…
This helps the employee gain clarity, and…this also increases the odds the employee will…see the review as fair, such that they…won't hesitate to sign and accept the review.…Next, it's helpful to have a short questions…and answer session as part of the closing process.…The employee might want to…bring up some other aspect of performance, or inquire…about relevant dates or some other aspect of the process.…So it's good to be proactive, and give them the chance.…
- Describe why performance reviews are important.
- Explain why a manager might use informal feedback.
- Recognize when it’s important to have a witness present during an evaluation.
- Cite the benefits of performance improvement plans.
- Identify the primary goal of managing performance throughout the year.
- Describe when it’s time to discuss possible role changes for an employee.
- Explain the 360 review process.
- Cite ways to set expectations for a performance review meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Employee Performance Problems (2013)with Todd Dewett1h 53m Intermediate
1. Overview of Performance Management
2. Setting Goals with Employees
3. Gathering Feedback on Performance
4. Writing the Review
5. Delivering the Review
6. Taking Next Steps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.