It is far easier for employee to be engaged in their work when they know what it means to succeed. In this video, Don Phin discusses performance management processes that help define clear objectives, results and benchmarks. He also shares a simple exercise you can do with your teammates to increase productivity and engagement.
- Have you ever been driving someplace and gotten lost…because you were given poor directions?…How did that feel?…Frustrating? A waste of time and energy?…Were fingers pointed? Did it maybe cause an argument?…To keep on cost, we need a performance management process…that defines clear objectives, results, and benchmarks.…It allows us to work well together towards a common goal.…When we're not clear about the direction we're going in,…it's easy to get lost and frustrated.…
It's easy to vector off course and not realize it…until it's too late.…Know this, when there's a lack of clarity,…things get worse all the time, not better.…Performance management experts…often talk about two approaches…to generating this clarity.…Management by objectives, or MBOs,…and key performance indicators, or KPIs.…MBOs look toward the final results…that we want to see in a situation.…
So, for example, suppose we want to sail…from New York to Rotterdam in the Netherlands,…one of the biggest ports in the world.…The MBO may mean to land our boat in Rotterdam…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Exercising discretionary effort
- Attracting engaged employees
- Assessing the fit of employees
- Making onboarding more engaging
- Learning from new employees
- Provide opportunities for career growth
- Clarifying objectives
- Measuring engagement using surveys
- Being present for employees
- Driving engagement with fun