Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Chunking, part of Improving Your Memory.
- Let's say I gave you a number to memorize…like the number 1776.…How would you remember it?…Well you could probably implement what we discussed…in earlier videos in this course, you might apply…the principal of repetition…by simply repeating "1776" to yourself.…But this number is simple to memorize, it's only four digits…What if I gave you a 10 digit number to memorize…like 3,128,574,747?…Now let's say I gave you another number like…312-857-4747,…which number is easier to remember?…I think most people would agree the second number…is easier to remember, why?…Because it looks like a phone number…and it's broken up into parts.…
Now if you haven't noticed, these 10 digit…numbers are exactly the same.…They're just formatted differently.…One is a number in the billions which is,…at first appears difficult to memorize,…while the other is a phone number…and seems easier to memorize.…Why is this?…Because of a memory principle we're introducing…here called Chunking.…Chunking information always makes it easier to remember…
- Memory principles that work
- Taking notes
- Using songs and rhyming techniques to remember details
- Building a "memory palace"
- Remembering names and passwords
- Memorizing long texts and speeches
Skill Level Beginner
Business Writing Principleswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 32m Beginner
1. Memory Principles
2. Memory Techniques
3. Using the Numeric Peg System
4. Situational Methods
Next steps1m 39s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.