…To effectively connect with someone does require…a thoughtful message, but it requires much more.…For example, quality communication skills.…I mean, what good is a well-crafted message if delivered poorly?…One other variable to consider is the medium through which you send…your message or what we typically refer to as the communication channel.…The interactions involved in managing your boss…are among the most important you'll engage.…Thus, selecting the most appropriate channel becomes crucial.…
If you choose the right one, they'll be…attentive and more likely to really hear you.…If you select a suboptimal channel, you risk having the message muddled.…So, let's talk about getting it right.…First, we'll consider your major communication channel options.…Then, we'll think about how to select the right one.…In terms of channels, there are several…usual suspects to consider, but your first decision…is whether or not your message should be…delivered in private versus the presence of others.…
The short answer here is to err on being private.…
- Explore how self-reflection is a starting point for understanding others.
- Review they ways that social capital (credibility) relate to performance, recognition, and helping others.
- Recall different kinds of communication channels you can establish with your manager.
- Identify the most effective ways to promote your accomplishments.
- Review methods for documenting issues that help you communicate up.
- Explore key strategies for working with a remote manager.
- Examine ways to repair a damaged relationship with your manager.