Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing a production strategy, part of Operations Management Fundamentals.
- As companies seek to create…the products customers desire,…companies must consider how those items…will be created and stored,…as well as when those items will be created.…Effectively, the market you choose…will drive your decision.…Let's use restaurants as our example.…First, let's look at a small shop…where they sell slices of pizza.…They know what you want.…They know you want it fast.…They understand that your tastes…are not likely to change soon.…Therefore, they make a few different kinds…of pizza before you even arrive.…
Perhaps they have cheese pizza,…pepperoni pizza, and a veggie pizza.…You order slices.…They might quickly reheat them.…You pay and leave.…This is a Make-to-Stock Strategy.…In this case, they knew people want pizza.…They bought specific equipment to make that pizza.…They had a finished goods inventory of pizza,…but the variety of pizza available was limited.…Still, the service was fast.…Short customer lead times.…
Quality might not have been that high,…but it's very likely consistent.…And the workers did not need…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.