Join Eddie Davila for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing a production facility layout, part of Operations Management Fundamentals.
- Making those things that customers desire,…making them well and in a timely fashion,…and still making the best use…of people, tools, and your facility,…operations management tries…to give you all of those things…through the use of different layout strategies.…Beyond the best use of your resources,…the right layout strategy…can create a good work environment for workers…and a comfortable experience for customers.…While there are many different layout strategies…for different environments,…let's look at two that are polar opposites.…
Line flow layouts and a flexible flow layouts.…A line-flow layout focuses…on making a standardized product…with consistent quality, in high volumes,…at fast production rates.…Most tend to think of an assembly line…that might manufacture cars.…That would be correct.…That is one type of line-flow system,…but there's another type of line-flow system.…A continuous-flow system that might be used…to manufacture loaves of bread.…What's the difference?…An assembly line can be stopped.…
A continuous-flow system must be run to completion.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding operations management
- Making key inventory decisions
- Balancing holding costs and ordering costs
- Choosing a production strategy and facility layout
- Managing waiting-line systems
- Defining quality and improving quality
- Managing business processes
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Introduction to Operations
2. Managing Inventory
3. Managing Production of Products and Services
4. Managing Waiting Lines
5. Managing Quality
6. Operations at the Office
Wrap up2m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.