Join Dana Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing a name, part of Setting Up Your Small Business as a Legal Entity.
- Before you incorporate, you need to check the availability…of the name you want to use for your business.…First, let me note that finding that…a corporate name is available does not mean…that the use of the name is free of infringement risk.…Typically, states simply want to be sure that the name…that you adopt is not identical to other businesses.…If you want to be sure that you can use the name…as a trademark or a brand, then you should also…look at trademark issues, which are covered…in one of my other courses on Lynda.com.…So, how do you search to see…if your desired corporate name is available?…I'm going to use Colorado as a sample.…
Most states have similar websites that allow you to search…for prior business names before you file.…We're going to start by opening a browser window,…and instead of taking you straight to the site,…I'm going to show you what you should do,…which is to just search for Colorado incorporation.…Now, you'll notice a lot of advertisements…and a lot of businesses that will offer to file for you,…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LInkedIn nor the attorney teaching the course represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate basic information to help viewers understand the basics of intellectual property.
- What is a sole proprietorship?
- Understanding corporate entities
- Exploring corporations and LLCs
- Choosing a corporate entity
- Creating an operating agreement
- Exploring incorporating examples
- Establishing an IRS tax ID