Join Paul Nowak for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Read and recall, part of Note-Taking for Business Professionals.
- In this video, you're going to implement the read…and recall method as a challenge exercise.…Here's what you need to do.…Step one is to download the exercise file.…Step two is to read this one page article…using the Read and Recall Method.…If you're working on printed paper,…you can write each note next to the adjacent paragraph.…If you're reading from the computer screen,…jot those notes on a separate sheet of paper…or on your computer.…Your notes should be concise.…Keep each note to just one word…or short phrase to describe what the paragraph…was about.…
So just read each paragraph, take a note,…and repeat until you finish the article.…Because the article is only one page,…this should probably take you less than five minutes…to complete this exercise.…When you're done, check out the next video…which shows my solution to this exercise.…
Author Paul Nowak also explores techniques for taking notes more quickly, including capturing ideas rather than sentences, improving typing speed, and using simple shorthand. The course also offers a number of note-taking templates to help prepare for project planning, SWOT meetings, timelines, business travel, and more.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Exploring the keys to active listening
- Focusing on the ideas
- Capturing an action plan
- Taking notes while reading
- Creating to-do lists, project plans, and meeting notes
Skill Level Beginner
Business Writing Principleswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 32m Beginner
1. Effective Note-Taking Strategies
2. Taking Note of What You Read
3. Note-Taking Templates
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.