There is such a range of companies that now are online B2C businesses. Learn the benefits of going online and how you and your company can profit.
- The common wisdom these days is that even offline businesses should have an online presence and I wouldn't disagree. But the fact is, while most online products and services can also be offered by offline businesses, the same can't always be said for all online businesses. There are certain jobs you simply can't do online, specifically any kind of business or job that requires you to be physically present to perform your service. Whether you're a mechanic or a repairman, a dog groomer or a dog walker, hair stylist, masseuse, baker, caterer, gardener, landscaper, pool cleaner, or maybe you do child or elder care, there are businesses that simply require your physical presence to allow you to perform the service that you provide.
And though many online stores may have simple return policies, there are still many consumers who prefer to try on their clothes or jewelry, check out their electronics, simply be able to ask questions. The fact is though an overwhelming majority of consumers now shop online, a majority of consumers still say they prefer brick and mortar businesses. Don't believe me? Check out all the big online brands that are expanding their brick and mortar store presence. The traffic from online to offline and offline to online goes both ways.
The truth is the only real downsides to offline businesses are the cost of infrastructure and human resources and cutting yourself off to literally billions of online shoppers. Being strong offline doesn't mean that you should have a decreased or nonexistent direct online presence. Not only are the two not mutually exclusive, they can actually work in concert to enhance one another. How? Well, there are several ways. First, a strong online presence is essential to the credibility of any brand or business regardless of whether or not you sell products or services online.
If you want your brand to be taken seriously, you need to have a strong online presence period. So, what is a strong online presence? It's one that projects your brand in a strong, consistent, and meaningful way. It's the one that has your brand in the places it should be and associated with the partners who are your elevators lifting you up. That said, a well-crafted offline direct campaign or promotion can be used to drive web traffic. More importantly, it can be utilized to fuel profitable and cost effective automated campaigns.
Using direct offline campaigns to feed well-constructed automated campaigns allows you to put your marketing campaigns on autopilot so that you can respond to the consumers' specific actions. Similarly, a strong online brand presence can add credibility to your offline direct campaigns and promotions. Well-written and designed online content designed to speak to the buying brain can provide value in context to your offline campaigns.
Used in conjunction, they can support each other to drive traffic, brand awareness, and ultimately conversions. It can also do the same for your social media presence and campaigns. We'll discuss the value of content in social media in later lessons, but for now it's enough to know any web presence can enhance all of your offline campaigns and promotions and vice versa. Combining online content and campaigns with your offline efforts can create a powerful one-two combination that can deliver the knockout sales punch you're looking for.
At the very least, your website and online efforts can be a strong representation of your brand and a robust vehicle for delivering content that'll help drive conversions. At its best, it can be your strongest tool for promoting your brand, driving revenue, and increasing your profitability with your ideal customer base.
- Categories of offline and online B2C companies
- Developing personas
- Measuring persona success
- Creating effective website copy
- Measuring the success of your content
- Engaging with social media marketing
- Measuring the success of pay-per-click campaigns