In this video, learn the importance of understanding capacity and capability planning for the project and for the organization as a whole when projects deliver. Also learn distribution of effort, risk, and the factors that go into an optimal project mix.
- Any business wants to approve the best projects,…but determining what is best is difficult.…It's not as simple as approving…those with the biggest benefits.…Those may be the least likely to succeed.…That's where capacity and capability planning come in,…looking at whether you're capable…of delivering those projects.…Capacity and capability are two separate items,…but both are required to make the best portfolio selections.…Capacity planning is about ensuring there are…enough resources to do the work, but no more.…
The term resources means both people and money.…There must be enough of both to deliver…all of the proposed projects within…the time allocated for the portfolio.…There must also be enough of both held back…as contingency in the event of problems.…Too little contingency and there's no way…to recover from problems.…Too much, and there's wasted effort and money sitting idle.…Capacity planning manages this balance,…making sure resources are used as effectively…and efficiently as possible,…sequencing work that impacts the various work areas,…
- Identify how to connect the strategy with delivery in portfolio management.
- Explain the process of managing alignment.
- Define a portfolio lifecycle.
- Explore business casing and analysis in portfolio management.
- Examine capacity and capability planning in portfolio management.
- Break down selection and prioritization in portfolio management.
- Recognize the elements of managing change in portfolio management.