Join Vince Kotchian for an in-depth discussion in this video Calorie counting, part of Learning Everyday Math.
- All right, in this movie I am going to talk about…counting calories.…We're gonna use math to figure out how many grams…of carbohydrates, protein, and fat you can eat per day,…on a 2,000 calorie diet.…So I'll start off with just a fact or two here.…Gram of carbohydrate or protein…has 4 calories per gram.…A gram of fat has 9 calories per gram.…
Okay, the next thing we wanna think about…is what is the ratio of carbs to protein to fat…that we wanna set up for this diet.…So let's say you wanna eat a ratio…that is gonna be 40% carbs,…30% protein, and 30% fat.…So I'll write that out.…So we're following a 2,000 calorie diet.…We wanna figure out how many of each…type of calorie can we have.…
So again, we know that our diet is 40% carbs,…30% protein and 30% fat.…So we're gonna use our percent skills…to figure out how many calories of carbs,…protein, and fat we can have, respectively.…So let's start with carbs.…Our diet is 40% carbs.…So we're gonna take 40% of 2000.…So I'll translate that.…40%, when we work with percents,…again we usually translate them to decimals.…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.