In this video, Tatiana Kolovou gives you specific tips about how to overcome anxiety so you can own your presentation and deliver it with confidence.
- I like to relate speaking anxiety … to performance anxiety in sports. … Some of the techniques used by athletes … help my students and clients be successful when they speak. … They may help you too. … Don't let anyone tell you that no stress is a positive. … Russian sports psychologist Yuri Hanin's research … shows that we all have different tolerances … and uses for stress hormones during our peak performance. … Being completely calm and serene may work for some … before they present and may be disastrous for others. … As you try some of these techniques in this course, … be sure to maintain a healthy amount … of butterflies in your stomach feeling. … Use your breath. … If being out of breath when you get nervous … makes you uncomfortable, use slow breathing. … In, two, three, four, and out, two, three, four. … Use these cycles to calm and center yourself. … Remember to use your breath as you pause between sentences. … Nervous speakers tend to speak faster … which makes them sound hurried and tough to follow. …
- Explore how to evaluate your audience's knowledge level.
- Define audience value.
- Recall how a 'forest vs. tree' analogy compares to the audience interview and presentation design.
- Recognize what logical appeal means in a presentation setting.
- Define emotional appeal in a presentation setting.