- In this movie, I'm going to talk about working with rates.…So, I'll give you an example.…Let's say that you participated…in a 50-mile, half-century bike race.…You finished in four hours.…You want to know, well hey, what was…my average miles per hour in that race?…So, I'll write out the equation here that we're gonna use:…it's distance = rate times time.…So, for the bike race, we know the distance was 50 miles.…We know the time was 4 hours,…and we want to find the rate.…
So, with distance = rate times time,…you can solve for any one of those…three things if you know the other two.…So, in this case, we know everything but the rate,…so we're going to call that r for short.…And to get r by itself in our equation,…we're gonna divide both sides by 4 hrs,…so that will cancel the 4 hrs here.…So, we'll end up with...…Dividing this side by 4 hrs, too,…and then r will = 50 miles…divided by 4 hrs.…
and if we simplify that math, we're going to get…r = 12.5 mi per hr.…So, I'll give you another example.…I'll clear my screen first.…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.