In this video, learn about the ways businesses are organized and the organizational structures used to operate a business.
- I've worked at companies who employed…some really talented people.…These companies offer good salaries…including bonus and benefits packages…that were so robust nearly everyone could live…an upper middle class lifestyle.…Yet the turnover at those companies were some…of the highest in their industries.…So what's going on?…The central problem was the lack…of an organizational structure that allowed…employees to contribute creative ideas.…The employees at these companies craved…the opportunity to use their talents…to maintain the company's competitive edge.…
But the structure got in their way.…So you probably have an idea of why…organizational structure is important,…but let's get clear in this definition first.…An organizational structure is essentially…a roadmap of how communication flows…and where decision-making authority rests…throughout the levels of management.…When the structure doesn't support the needs…of the business, decisions are slow,…communication is unclear and employees are frustrated.…With the appropriate structure in place,…
Disclaimer: This course is not produced nor endorsed by HRCI®.
- Name the four traditional organizational structures.
- Explain the rights an employee has when they are affected by a reduction in force (RIF).
- List the five motivational theories.
- Identify the differences between the entitlement and pay-for-performance compensation strategies.
- Determine which of the five generations is considered the first true digital natives.
- Recall the duties of a chief information officer.
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/05/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover risk and change management, learning and development, and total rewards. In addition, the following topics were updated: PHR exam outline and HR’s strategic focus.