Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Business ethics violations, part of Business Ethics.
- Earlier in the course, I mentioned…that ethically high performing companies quickly react…to reported ethics concerns and conduct an investigation.…So an appropriate and fair examination of the facts…are what you and your company should do immediately…after learning of a potential ethics violation.…I have a few tips to share about handling the investigation…of ethics violations but, first, a word of caution.…Investigations should not be treated with a single formula.…The nature, magnitude, and personalities involved…in a potential ethics violation can vary greatly…and so should the investigation that results.…
So here are my tips for investigating an ethics violation.…Focus on the magnitude of the potential issue.…If the potential violation revolves…around a single misplaced comment…from one employee to another, an investigation…by a single manager is probably appropriate.…However, if the potential violation…may be the misappropriation of millions of dollars,…that's another thing entirely…and will likely involve an investigative team…
Bob also discusses ethics in relationship to specific business scenarios: working with suppliers and vendors, organizational decision making, and doing business internationally. He addresses how to handle business ethics violations and provides a checklist of items for staff to evaluate if something is ethical.
- Understanding the purpose and intent of business ethics
- Practicing business ethics
- Working with suppliers
- Reporting ethical problems
- Messaging staff
- Leading by example
- Creating escalation procedures for ethical issues
- Handling a crisis