- Define business writing.
- Describe how to make your writing concise and complete.
- Identify the elements of a clear message.
- List examples of concrete requests.
- Use a writing process to avoid common errors.
- Address common grammatical and punctuation errors.
- Identify special considerations for emails, reports, and memos.
Skill Level Beginner
- [Voiceover] Hello and welcome to Business Writing Fundamentals. I'm Judy and I look forward to helping you become an effective business writer. In this course, we'll examine the elements of effective business writing. First, we'll preview why being a successful business writer is important to you and your career. Then we'll examine 10 basic business writing principles that I call the 10 C's. After the 10 C preview, we'll take a deeper dive into each of those 10 C's. Not only the main point of each, but why each is important, and how to apply each principle, including before and after examples.
Next, we'll go over some common grammar and writing mistakes, and how to avoid them. Finally, we'll discuss special considerations for specific types of business writing, such as e-mail messages and reports. I'm excited to share my tips for business writing with you, so, let's get started.