Join Bob McGannon for an in-depth discussion in this video Building vs. buying, part of Managing Project Procurement.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson is credited with saying,…"Build a better mouse trap, and the world…"will beat a path to your door."…A very familiar quote, however,…it was said in the late 19th century,…before modern mouse traps were invented.…Although there is still room for…wonderful new inventions in this world,…most of us working on projects…don't have to build a better mouse trap that often.…We can often buy a simple mouse trap,…and our rascally rodent problem will be handled.…
That being said, there will be times…you and your project team will be faced…with a build versus buy decision.…So, let's explore the build versus…buy decision making process.…First point of order in the build versus buy decision,…make sure your requirements are…clearly defined and prioritized.…I suggest using the following categories.…Must have, important, nice to have.…To make an informed build versus buy decision,…you must first understand your needs.…
If you go shopping around for products first,…you may end up with a great screwdriver,…but if your business needed a hammer,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is project procurement?
- Should you buy or build?
- Putting procurement tasks in your schedule
- Understanding contract types
- Ensuring flexibility with the statement of work
- Exploring payment scheduling options
- Testing your market
- Using RFIs, RFQs, and RFPs
- Overcoming challenges