You can consult as an individual or you can build a team. Teams can take many forms, ranging from fully employed team members to a loose network of contractors you retain to work on your projects. Team structure determines the compensation model you use, and forces you to look at issues like utilization for an employed workforce. Team structure also impacts the way you manage projects and develop your staff.
- You can consult as an individual or you can build a team.…Teams can take many forms ranging from…fully employed team members…to a loose network of contractors…you retain to work on your projects.…Team structure will determine the compensation model…you use and force you to look at issues…like utilization for an employed work force.…Compensation can be salary, project-based,…hourly rate or unit-based.…You can combine various compensation models too.…
You can pay people for different behaviors,…like selling activities and service delivery.…If you're salary-based, utilization matters.…Utilization looks at the time your people are on projects…versus the total time that you're paying them for.…If they're employed, that has upsides and downsides too.…The upside is, an employed workforce is more stable…and they're more dedicated.…The downside is you carry a large fixed cost.…
You have to deal with employment issues…and you have to pay taxes and benefits.…A contractor model has upside…because you're not paying taxes on them…
- Working as a consultant
- Generating revenue as a consultant
- Cost structures, pricing, finances, and taxes
- Marketing and selling consulting services
- Negotiating and contracting
- Working with clients
- Presenting findings to clients
- Implementing recommendations
- Managing legal issues
- Insuring a business
- Getting licensed and certified
Skill Level Beginner
Understanding Intellectual Propertywith Dana Robinson1h 31m Appropriate for all
1. Define Your Consulting Business
2. Marketing and Selling
3. Contract and Protect Yourself
4. Run the Consulting Engagement
5. Handle Administration
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.