LinkedIn principal author Doug Winnie describes the differences between agile and waterfall product development. Agile defines a product over the span of the development cycle. Waterfall defines the entire product before the development cycle begins. These are two common types of product development approaches in the technology industry.
- There are lots of ways to build a product.…In fact, there are entire industries dedicated…to specific methodologies and processes…to build and release products to market.…The two you'll probably encounter most…are Waterfall and Agile.…Let's look at how those methodologies apply…to two types of products.…The first is a tablet.…The other is an app.…A tablet is something physical.…It has a lot of physical components…that need to work together,…and it is manufactured in a factory.…
Once it's in the box, a tablet’s hardware can't be upgraded…or improved, so if you want additional capabilities,…you have to buy a different device.…On the other hand, an app is something virtual.…It's purchased online and downloaded to your device.…It's comprised entirely of software…and it's made through code.…Once purchased, it can be upgraded or improved…through updates downloaded from the internet…or through the app store.…For example, let's say I’m making a tic-tac-toe app.…
When I start to build,…I might not know if I want to use Xs and Os,…
- Identify types of products.
- Recognize different types of industries.
- Examine what elements make up a quality extended team.
- Explore the components of managing a life cycle.
- Name the elements of a strong research plan.
- Break down how to pitch an idea.
- Identify versions, releases, and sprints.
- Recognize how to monitor progress using a burndown chart.
- Define your go-to market.
Skill Level Beginner
1. What is Product Management?
2. What Does a Product Manager Do?
When it is time to retire2m 58s
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.