Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Breaking the status bubble, part of New Manager Foundations.
When you're promoted to a new level in your career, you have to be sensitive…to your new status.…Status at work is tricky.…On the one hand, you can't physically see it, on the other hand it's real and…people react very strongly to it.…I'd like to refer to is as the status bubble.…You're status surrounds you and often makes it more challenging to interact with you.…For the context of this video, I'd like you to concentrate on the relationship…between you and your team.…Now that you've been promoted, believe me, even if you feel like the same…person, to them you've changed.…
You've assumed a higher status.…Like it or not, your promotion removes you from them and some will now view…communicating and relating to you as more challenging compared to before you were promoted.…The mere fact that you're now the boss often makes them hesitate more and censor…more for fear of not meeting your expectations or not pleasing you.…Even if you're the nicest person in the world, that is the affect of status.…Your job is to attack the status bubble.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Clarifying performance expectations
- Feeding your learning curve
- Building rapport with your team
- Explaining your decision-making style
- Increasing your authenticity
- Communicating proactively
- Knowing when to have a meeting and who should attend
- Coping successfully with your transition<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.